Analysis of the Effect of Overconfidence and Herding on Investor Decisions in Pontianak City

Titin Salasiah, Dedi Hariyanto, Heni Safitri


This study aims to analyze the effect of Overconfidence and Herding on Investor Investment Decisions in Pontianak City. The sampling technique used in this study is the purposive sampling technique. Based on the predetermined sample selection criteria, the number of samples was 40 respondents. The analytical technique used is an instrument test which includes validity and reliability tests, for the classical assumption test includes normality test, multicollinearity test and linearity test, for statistical analysis includes multiple linear regression analysis, correlation coefficient analysis (R), analysis of the coefficient of determination (R2), simultaneous effect test (F statistic test), partial effect test (t statistical test). The results of the validity test show that the data is valid, the results of the reliability test show that the data is reliable. While the results of the normality test show that the data is normally distributed, the results of the multicollinearity test show that there is no multicollinearity and the results of the linearity test show that the model used has a linear relationship. Based on the results of multiple linear regression analysis, the regression equation obtained is Y = 2.557 + 0.318X1 + 0.056X2, the correlation coefficient analysis (R) of 0.488, the relationship between Overconfidence and Herding with Investment Decisions is quite strong. The coefficient of determination (R2) shows that 23.8% of investment decisions are influenced by overconfidence and herding and the remaining 76.2% is influenced by other variables not examined in this study. Simultaneous effect test results (F test) show that Overconfidence and Herding simultaneously have a significant effect on Investment Decisions. The partial effect test (t statistical test) shows that Overconfidence individually has an influence on Investor Investment Decisions. Meanwhile, Herding individually has no influence on Investment Decisions.


Overconfidence; Herding; K Break upinvestment

Full Text:



Afriani, D., & Halmawati, H. (2019). Pengaruh Cognitive Dissonance Bias, Overconfidence Bias Dan Herding Bias Terhadap Pengambilan Keputusan Investasi. Jurnal Eksplorasi Akuntansi, 1(4), 1650-1665.

Ahmad Sabir, S., Mohammad, H., & Kadir Shahar, H. (2019). The role of overconfidence and past investment experience in herding behaviour with a moderating effect of financial literacy: evidence from Pakistan stock exchange. Asian Economic and Financial Review, 9(4), 480-490.

Carpenter, R. E., & Petersen, B. C. (2002). Capital market imperfections, high‐tech investment, and new equity financing. The Economic Journal, 112(477), F54-F72.

Hadrian, I. (2020). Pengaruh Overconfidence, Herding Effect, Self-Monitoring terhadap Investment Decision pada Masa Pandemi Covid-19. Jurnal Manajerial Dan Kewirausahaan, 2(3), 595-602.

Hershey, D. A., Jacobs-Lawson, J. M., McArdle, J. J., & Hamagami, F. (2007). Psychological foundations of financial planning for retirement. Journal of Adult Development, 14(1-2), 26-36.

Posner, E. A., Scott Morgan, F. M., & Weyl, E. G. (2016). A proposal to limit the anticompetitive power of institutional investors. Antitrust LJ, 81, 669.

Posner, M. I., & Marin, O. S. (Eds.). (2016). Attention and performance XI. Routledge.

Qasim, M., Hussain, R., Mehboob, I., & Arshad, M. (2019). Impact of herding behavior and overconfidence bias on investors’ decision-making in Pakistan. Accounting, 5(2), 81-90.

Setiawan, Y. C., Atahau, A. D. R., & Robiyanto, R. (2018). Cognitive Dissonance Bias, Overconfidence Bias dan Herding Bias dalam Pengambilan Keputusan Investasi Saham. AFRE (Accounting and Financial Review), 1(1).

SheludʹkoN., Vasiurenko, O., Lyashenko, V., & Morozova, N. (2020). Gold and Bitcoin Price Dynamics as a Reflection of Investor Sentiment. Journal La Bisecoman, 1(4), 19-25.

Tashfeen, M., & Shahmeer, Z. (2020). Public Institution Fights on Financial Management during Pandemic Crisis. Journal La Bisecoman, 1(6), 23-29.

Trinugroho, I., & Sembel, R. (2011). Overconfidence and excessive trading behavior: An experimental study. International Journal of Business and Management, 6(7), 147.



  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2021 International Journal of Multicultural and Multireligious Understanding

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

International Journal of Multicultural and Multireligious Understanding (IJMMU) ISSN 2364-5369
Copyright © 2014-2018 IJMMU. All rights reserved.